The Evil Queen's Beautiful Principles - 8

 




The Princess and the Birthday



It's been less than half a year since I started living in the tower.


“It's only three days until your birthday, Princess Luxuria.”


Alicia’s voice rang excitedly as she prepared my tea.


"Oh...you're right. I'll be nine years old now...."


Thinking about it, it all happened so fast.

I began to live with Alicia in the tower, and the fun...days passed in a hurry.


"Will you be returning to the palace for your birthday?"


“No way. I'll still be here even on my birthday."


"Huh? I heard there's going to be a party at the castle...? And it's your party, Princess Luxeria."


“I'm supposed to be too sick to go out in front of everyone. I've already let everyone know that I won't be at the party."


If I went to a place where there are a lot of people, I would be able to hear so many voices in my mind.

If I put myself in such an environment, I will really get sick...and so that excuse is not exactly wrong.


“It's all right. I'm sure that my father and mother will celebrate with me later."


It would be easy for father and mother to abandon me if they were busy with parties or with their official duties.

Yet, they both always come to me on the day of my birthday.

I would rather celebrate with the people I love than at a stuffy party surrounded by a bunch of people I've never met.


"The king and the queen. You must be looking forward to it, Princess Luxuria."


“Yes, I am. It's been three months...since I've seen the two of them. When they are here, I’ll have to be especially careful to control my magic.”


“You’ll be fine.”


Alicia smiled cheerfully.


"If you don’t wish for it, the magic won't work. As proof of that, see? I'm not under your magic, am I?"


“Hehehe… I have control over my magic because of you, Alicia."


Even now, Alicia was not affected by my magic..

Thanks to this, I am able to spend my time peacefully, as if it were a lie that I used to always be scared that I might harm someone again someday.


Perhaps it was because of this leeway that I was able to make my mind deaf sometimes, even when father or mother was there.


“I'm glad I could be of service.”


“Well, I still need to train. I can't...follow in my father's footsteps at this rate."


Even if a baby brother was born, I was still the first in line.

Only the first born could inherit the Treasure Swords, which were proof of being the ruler.


The Treasure Swords...were five swords.

Each of them has five meanings: love, wisdom, glory, sincerity, and eternity, and they contain immense magical power.


The Treasure Swords are passed on to the next generation when the king dies, or if he is still alive, when the next generation officially takes over the throne at the coronation ceremony.


I will eventually inherit the Treasure swords…but as of now, it's difficult to even live in the royal palace, let alone inherit the throne.


"...That's right! Since it's your birthday, let's have a birthday party ourselves!"


"Birthday party?"


"Yes! On the day of your birthday. By the way, do you want to invite anyone else?"


"Sadly, I have no friends but you. Oh, but...that boy from that time..."


For a moment, I recalled the brief meeting with him just before I was imprisoned in the tower.


"...No, I’m fine. You're all I need."


"Princess Luxuria. Since it's a good opportunity, let's invite that person too. I'll contact him for you!"


“Hm... He lives a long way from us. It's going to be difficult for him to say 'Yes, I'll be right there,' just because we ask."


“...I see. Oh, but then how did you come to know this person, Princess Luxuria?"


"He came to the palace to help with my father's work. At that time, I was not yet living in the tower and I was wandering around the palace. I met him by chance."


"Huh…what's the person’s name?"


“It's Wilhelm.”


I suddenly remembered...the time I met him.

If I meditate on it, I can always recall it vividly.


‘I thought you were as beautiful as the moon.’


Now that I think about it, those weren’t the words of a small child.

Or is it the other way around?

It was probably because of the innocence of a child.


''Maybe he'll visit for your birthday party. I'll just check and see!"


“No, no. I can't call him to the tower if he is here for the party. They'll know I'm skipping the party."


“Oh...that's right..."


“Right? So let's have a birthday party with just me and you. Oh yes, and why don't we sneak out?"


"The usual forest, of course. Then we'll go and pack a lunch with us."


"Hehe. I can’t wait."


Comments